Chad Eggerman is a Partner in the Energy & Natural Resources and Construction & Infrastructure practice groups in the Saskatoon office of Miller Thomson LLP.
Procurement: Chad is experienced with preparing, reviewing, undertaking and responding to different procurement processes including tenders, RFQs and RFPs, having acted as counsel on procurement matters to publicaly traded Canadian energy infrastructure companies, stock-listed European renewable energy developers, European mining suppliers as well as municipal and provincial utilities in Saskatchewan.
Contracts: Chad has negotiated, reviewed and drafted most major commercial contracts, including leases, asset and share purchase agreements, EPCM contracts, supply agreements, service agreements and subcontractor agreements. Chad has advised on a wide range of other commercial contracts including joint venture agreements in both the energy and mining sectors.
Corporate and Commercial: Chad handles corporate work for a number of small and large companies primarily in the construction, agriculture and oil and gas industries in Saskatchewan. Chad has reviewed and executed CAPL P&NG leases, assigned oil and gas leases, transferred mineral interests and dealt with builders' liens on oil and gas projects as well as security interests registered against crown P&NG leases.
Construction Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Chad has represented clients on significant construction litigation matters in the potash industry in Saskatchewan, acts for owners and contractors in builders’ lien matters and has successfully resolved many construction disputes between owners, general contractors and subcontractors.
Private M&A: Chad also advises on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and infrastructure projects in Saskatchewan for private-sector clients, public-sector entities or public private partnerships. In carrying out commercial transactions in the construction, energy, mining and resource sectors in Saskatchewan, Chad has developed a thorough understanding of the need to address the concerns of a wide variety of stakeholders.
Environmental: Chad has resolved environmental disputes and problems involving contamination of old gas station sites as well as matters involving spills at commercial/industrial facilities and asbestos contamination at municipal facilities. Chad has recently delivered a workshop on mine site closure and remediation. Chad has also obtained environmental permits for renewable energy projects and can represent clients at environmental hearings and public consultation meetings.Nordic: Chad previously resided in Finland for nearly 7 years. During that time he worked at a leading Northern European business law firm based in Helsinki. Chad is currently Honorary Consul of Finland in the Province of Saskatchewan with residence in Saskatoon and a member of Miller Thomson’s Nordic practice group.
Chad maintains a personal blog on renewable energy law. To view Chad's personal blog click here
- LL.M. Contract & Commercial Law, University of Helsinki, 2003
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 2001
- B.A., University of Regina, 1998
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (2004 - 2013)
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Saskatoon Bar Association
- Member, International Lawyers’ Association of Finland (ILAF)
- Member, Finnish Canadian Business Club
- Member, Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB)
- Member, Saskatchewan Young Professionals & Entrepreneurs (SYPE)
- Member, Saskatchewan Environmental Industry & Managers’ Association (SEIMA)
- Team Finland
Publications & Presentations
- 2013 - Opportunities in the Mining Sector: The Evolution of EPCM Contracts, published in Canadian Consulting Engineer magazine, March-April 2013 issue
- 2013 - On Your Terms: Getting the Most Out of Your Option Agreement, published in Northern Prospector Annual Mining & Exploration Review, 2012-2013
- 2012 – Chair and Presenter, Mining Excellence in Saskatchewan, Canadian Institute Conference, November 27-29, 2012
- 2012 – Presenter, Risk Mitigation for the Modern Workplace - From Cloud Commuting to Challenges on the Ground Labour and Employment Seminar, October 3, 2012
- 2012 – Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) Annual Conference Poster Presentations, Sitting Consideration in Western Canada, Using the Wind to Power Mining Development, October, 2012
- 2012 - Presenter, Saskatchewan Trade Export Partnership (STEP) Workshop, Establishing Operations Abroad, May 2012
- 2012 - Chair and Presenter, Saskatchewan Mining Week Workshop, May 2012
- 2012 - Ethanol from Forest and Agricultural Residue, Canadian Bioenergy Association Business-to-Business Forum, April 2012
- 2012 - Legal Issues for Contractors and Small Business Owners, April 2012
- 2012 - Saskatchewan Energy Symposium, Chair and Presenter on Exploring Power Generation Opportunities within Saskatchewan's Key Renewable Energy Projects, March 2012
- 2012 - District Energy in Canada: Developments, Projects and Investment Opportunities - District Energy Regulation in Canada, Canadian Embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark and Stockholm, Sweden
- 2011 - Negotiating and executing a Power Purchase Agreement in Saskatchewan, Effective Collaboration with First Nations Communities to Enhance the Success of your Power Project, Prairie Power Symposium
- 2011 - Recent Developments in the Canadian Renewable Energy Sector, CorporateLiveWire Guide to Energy & Natural Resources, June 2011
- 2011 - First Things First: Project Development on First Nations Land, SaskBusiness magazine, March 2011
- 2011 - Getting the Deal Through - Electricity Regulation 2011, Canada chapter, published by Law Business Research
- 2011 - Enforcement of Security Against Property Located on First Nations Reserve Lands, Canadian Bar Association
- 2010 - Getting the Deal Through - Electricity Regulation 2010, Canada chapter, published by Law Business Research
- 2010 - Capitalizing on Renewable Energy, SaskBusiness magazine, March 2010
- 2009 - Getting the Deal Through - Electricity Regulation 2009, Canada chapter, published by Law Business Research
- 2009 - Minimizing Risk When Conducting Business Outside Canada, GlobalVentures magazine, July- August, 2009
- 2009 - Setback for Wind Farms? Four Factors in Municipal Zoning, SaskBusiness magazine, July-August 2009
- 2009 - Capping Nuclear Liability, SaskBusiness magazine, June 2009
- 2009 - Public-Private Partnerships in the Nuclear Industry, Bar Notes magazine, spring 2009
- 2009 - Finnish First: 10 management lessons Canadian firms can learn from their Finnish counterparts, National magazine, Canadian Bar Association, January/February issue.
- 2009 - Public-Private Partnerships in the Nuclear Industry: Lessons learned from the Olkiluoto project in Finland, EnerCan West Conference
- 2008 - Green’s Time to Shine, SaskBusiness magazine, July/August 2008 Green Issue
- Honorary Consul of Finland for the Province of Saskatchewan with residence in Saskatoon
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
Oil and Gas
Year of Call
- Saskatchewan, 2007
- Ontario, 2004
- Finland , 2003