Proposal and Special Projects Specialist
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus, a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a Proposal and Special Projects Specialist to join our Toronto office. Reporting to the National Senior Business Development Manager, the role will work closely with the Business Development Managers in Toronto, senior lawyers and practice groups, as well as with key departments, including the Finance, Library and Knowledge Management teams.
In this role you will be responsible for managing the complete cycle of the bid response process, as well as for finding greater efficiencies in terms of the effort, process and reporting involved in Toronto-based proposal activity that will translate into higher win rates and revenue growth. The role will also be a key reference resource and supplier of business development-related information for Marketing and Business Development personnel and the firm’s practice groups.
In this role, responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Management of the complete cycle of the bid response process, which includes researching, drafting and compiling content for new business pitches, RFPs, RFQs, RFIs and other types of formal proposals in which the Toronto office participates
- Participation in pricing discussions with submission teams, advising on price positioning and alternative fee arrangement (AFA) options
- Coordination of production process for proposal submissions, including preparation of work-back schedules, work product quality (compliance with RFP requirements, proofreading for accuracy and clarity)
- Updating of proposal archives, proposal tracking system and the firm’s portal
- Maintenance and updating of the firm’s Alternative Fee Arrangement (AFA) database
- Updating the business development “wins” database on the firm portal
- Tracking and archiving of business development-related information for the marketing and communications team, and practice groups, that support firm collateral development, directory listings, rankings and other profile building activities
- Coordination and maintenance of deal and transaction lists and firm news, for submission to various external publications and organizations
- Tracking representative work for proposal/pitch packages
- Work on special business development-related projects as required
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- University or college degree, preferably with a major in business, and at least 5 years of work experience in a business development and marketing capacity
- Demonstrated proposal writing and editing skills/experience
- Proficiency in Word, Excel; CRM (InterAction) considered an asset
- Superior time management and organizational skills, with the ability to proactively problem-solve and manage competing priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Exceptional detail orientation
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships, and be an effective listener and influencer
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with a strong client service orientation
- Conducts themselves with discretion and professionalism, and operates with full accountability
- Works comfortably both on teams and independently
Our ideal candidate is proactive, creative and always exploring ways to improve efficiencies and meet the needs of employees and clients.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title and office location, to:Attn: Talent Management Specialist
Miller Thomson LLP
40 King Street West, Suite 5800
P.O. Box 1011
Toronto, ON M5H 3S1