Litigation Law Clerk/Assistant
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus, a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a full-time Litigation Law Clerk/Assistant, to provide clerk and administrative support for a 13 month contract. This position will provide support to one Litigation Lawyer in our London office.
Your required skills and knowledge include:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Processing large volumes of documents;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Problem solving with minimal supervision;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Preparing and updating Affidavits of Documents;
- Preparing and updating Accident Benefits Briefs, necessary requisitions, Motion materials, Pleading Briefs, Trial Briefs, Document Briefs, Witness Briefs, and other materials required to prepare for arbitration or trial;
- Reviewing transcripts and following up with Undertakings;
- Drafting documents relating to: Correspondence to clients and opposing counsel; Authorizations, Bills of Costs, Consent to Judgment, Draft Judgment, and other material required for trial;
- Arranging for Examinations for Discovery and Mediations.
The successful candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of litigation clerk/administrative experience, will have a solid understanding of current legal terminology, the Rules of Civil Procedure and have fast, accurate, keyboarding and dicta transcription skills. Working with Summation would be considered an asset.
In order to be considered, the candidate must have a strong work ethic, exceptional communication and organizational skills, the ability to work independently and the willingness to contribute to the team. This individual has a professional attitude, is responsive, intelligent, assertive, resourceful, and has superior client services skills.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to email@example.com