Litigation Law Clerk
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal.
We are seeking a full-time Litigation Law Clerk for our Waterloo office to provide clerk support to the Waterloo Litigation Lawyers.
Your required skills and knowledge include:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Problem solving with minimal supervision;
- Communicating with lawyers and clients in a professional manner;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Interviewing and liaising with clients;
- Preparing Affidavits of Documents;
- Preparing necessary requisitions, Motion materials, Notices of Intent to Defend, Pleading Briefs, Trial Briefs, Document Briefs, Witness Briefs, and other materials required to prepare for trial;
- Reviewing transcripts and following up with Undertakings;
- Drafting documents relating to: Correspondence to clients and opposing counsel; Statement of Claim, Notice of Intent to Defend, Third Party Claim, Pleading Brief, Pre-Trial Conference Memorandum, Discovery Plan, Motion material, Bill of Costs, Consent to Judgment, Draft Judgment, and other material required for trial.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 to 7 years of litigation clerk experience, will have a solid understanding of current legal terminology, the Rules of Civil Procedure and have fast, accurate keyboarding skills. Working with Summation would be considered an asset.
In order to be considered, the candidate must have a strong work ethic, exceptional communication and organizational skills, the ability to work independently and the willingness to contribute to the team. This individual has a professional attitude, is responsive, intelligent, assertive, resourceful, and has great client services skills.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to email@example.com