Legal Assistant - Intellectual Property
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus, a positive, collegial work environment.
We believe in fostering an environment of sharing and collaboration by emphasizing the importance of belonging to a team and contributing to the firm through teamwork. We have an unyielding dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice in and strive to offer each firm member a great challenge, competitive compensation and benefits, employee perks and a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant for our Waterloo office to provide administrative support in the area of Intellectual Property Law with a focus on trademarks, patent filings and patent prosecution around the world. In this position, you will provide support a group of lawyers who specializes in the above mentioned area. While previous experience in this area would be helpful, candidates with strong organization skills, a keen attention to detail and a desire to develop valuable skills as a patent assistant are welcome to apply.
Your required skills and knowledge include:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Processing large volumes of documents;
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Problem solving with minimal supervision;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- A minimum of 5 years of administrative experience in a legal environment with preference given to candidates with Intellectual Property experience, or a desire to learn this area of Law;
- A university degree;
- A solid understanding of current legal terminology;
- Fast, accurate keyboarding skills; minimum 60 wpm;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team;
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applicants we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Miller Thomson LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.