Legal Assistant - Insurance Litigation
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Legal Assistant to join our Waterloo office to provide administrative support to an Associate in our Insurance Litigation Department, and to assist with overflow assignments. The ideal candidate will be an experienced assistant who can assist our lawyer in developing and managing his practice.
Working as a team member in this busy environment, you will be required to communicate frequently with the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, our clients, and the office of opposing counsel on administrative matters. You will be responsible for numerous file openings on a regular basis, as well as managing the administrative flow of these files from beginning to end. You will be exceptionally organized, flexible to deal with changing priorities, and be reliable to your lawyer and other team members.
Your required skills and knowledge include:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Processing large volumes of documents;
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Problem solving with minimal supervision;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of administrative experience in a legal environment with preference given to candidates with insurance litigation experience;
- Fast, accurate keyboarding skills; minimum 60 wpm;
- Strong dicta transcription skills and ability to transcribe for various practice groups;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ownership of your work, and confident client management skills;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- Strong technology skills;
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative; this includes drafting simple letters for review;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to firstname.lastname@example.org