Legal Assistant - Corporate Services (Charities/Not-for-Profit) - 1 year maternity contract
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus, a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Markham office for a one-year maternity leave contract. As part of a secretarial share supporting our Charities/Not-for-Profit Law Clerks within our Corporate Services Department, the responsibilities for this position will include, but will not be limited to:
documents for review by law clerks which include; Applications for
Incorporation, By-Laws, corporate proceedings (minutes, resolutions and
ancillary docs), corporate update and other transaction documents, annual
proceedings, extra provincial and fund raising registrations and other
government filings and licensing, continuance documents, amendments,
amalgamations and dissolutions.
- Preparation of correspondence to clients, government agencies and others;
- Preparation of report letters and report books;
- Reviewing and updating minute books and other corporate records
- Maintenance of the corporate database, EnAct, including updating and verifying information. The incumbent will be expected to become very familiar with the database.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Legal Assistant.
- Certificate/Diploma from a Legal Secretarial program or equivalent work experience.
- Strong organizational and technical skills.
- The ability to work independently, including drafting routine correspondence/documents
- Strong attention to detail in a busy environment.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to take initiative are essential.
- The incumbent will also be someone who can work within a team environment and provide back-up support to other Assistants within the group.
Our ideal candidate is proactive, creative and always exploring ways to improve efficiencies and meet the needs of employees and clients.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume and link to current portfolio, quoting the above job title and office location, to:
Talent Management Specialist
Miller Thomson LLP
40 King Street West, Suite 5800
P.O. Box 1011
Toronto, ON M5H 3S1