Legal Assistant - Corporate
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus, a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Legal Assistant for our Waterloo office. This Legal Assistant will provide administrative support in the areas of Corporate and Commercial Law.
Your required skills and knowledge include:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently for a variety of lawyers;
- Providing excellent client service to both internal and external parties;
- Strong understanding of corporate law, wills and estates, and corporate transactions, including drafting necessary documents;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities; Meeting strict deadlines; Excellent multi-tasking skills;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- Administrative experience in a corporate legal environment, preferably in a large law firm;
- Practical experience in using Microsoft Word and Excel, Lotus Notes and a legal accounting system;
- Fast, accurate keyboarding skills; minimum 60 wpm;
- Strong dicta transcription skills and ability to transcribe for various practice groups;
- Strong organizational, practice management and time management skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential information is a must;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to email@example.com
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually, or provide confirmation of receipt of your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.